breakfast, recipes

A Banana Bread Kinda Morning

Sometimes Most of the time, you wake up in the morning in a funk. You’re grouchy-hungry-tired-lethargic and generally lacking in motivation to do just about anything except chug a cup of black tar out of your french press, throw on a wrinkly something or other and stumble your way to work-school-etc.

Today was not one of those mornings for me.

Because today was a banana bread morning.

Yesterday I overheard one of my coworkers saying to another, “How does anyone have time to bake after work? I can barely make dinner let alone get a banana bread in the oven.” And, true to form, I took this as a personal challenge.

I had seen this recipe for gluten free banana bread on one of my favourite blogs and decided to make it exactly as it was shown. Ahem…obviously that didn’t happen. I didn’t have everything on hand in the right quantities, and I wanted to cut back on the sugar just a little. But here is my version (with full props to Ashley for her drool-worthy original).

Simple Gluten-Free Banana Bread

20120927-083545.jpg

• 1/2 cup raw buckwheat flour
  • 1 cup oat flour
  • 1/4 cup almonds, coursely ground
  • 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 3/4 cup egg whites (or 2 whole eggs)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp walnut oil (or whatever you have on hand)
  • 1 heaping tbsp blackstrap molasses
  • pinch of stevia or 2 tbsp raw sugar

Simply mix wet ingredients in a small bowl. Stir together dry ingredients. And gently fold together.

Fill a medium sized bread pan 3/4 of the way full with batter. I lined mine with parchment paper to avoid sticking.

Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes or until a nice solid crust has formed.

Allow to cool completely before cutting.

What gets you out your grouchypants funk in the morning?

(if you say coffee, i’m rolling my eyes and giving you a resounding OBVZ)

• Reply Danielle September 27, 2012 at 9:39 am

That looks awesome! Have a good breakfast awaiting me really helps to get me out of bed – overnight oats or something along those lines (buckwheat porridges) – are always good. I’ve also been making a quick grain-free porridge in the morning! So yummy especially for the cooler months. Takes only 5 minutes on the stove!

• Reply the healthy hipster September 27, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I’ve been meaning to try a grain free porridge! Is it made with coconut & banana?

• Reply Danielle September 27, 2012 at 10:19 pm

it is indeed! here’s the recipe i’ve been using: http://www.thefitnessdish.com/?p=11957
        i will usually top with a tbsp almond butter! and it gets all melted in. so yummy! sometimes add some berries on top too. (or the other 1/2 of the banana) so good with a big cup of hot coffee!

• Reply the healthy hipster September 28, 2012 at 11:56 am

Thanks for the tip! I had it this morning but cooked in some egg whites at the end and munched on a teensy bit of banana bread while it was cooking (grain almost free, hehe).

Whatever it was that was a magical combo and I’ve literally been bursting with energy all day! 🙂

• Danielle September 28, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Oh I am glad to hear it! I think the warm banana makes all the difference.

• Reply Gillian September 27, 2012 at 10:59 am

I woke up in the funkiest funk this morning craving pumpkin loaf. In a healthy lazy gal way I through together a warm bowl of pumpkin puree mixed with coconut butter, all spice + stevia, warmed it up, and topped it with almond butter and maple syrup. With a cup of cardamom tea I was feeling a little less funked.

I am now going to let my new bananas get all nice and brown so that I can try this recipe! Thank you!

• Reply the healthy hipster September 27, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Well now you’ve gone and made me crave pumpkin. Or maybe it’s just the chilly sweater weather 😉

• Reply Gillian September 28, 2012 at 9:50 am

*threw

• Reply Laura September 27, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Knowing I’ll be at bikram yoga a few hours after waking gets me outta bed. & of course a nice cup of jo 😉

• Reply Eleanor July 1, 2015 at 11:17 pm

Absolutely delicious! I am quite new to baking and was surprisingly able to put this together!
    I have a delicious pancake recipe you might like, very light and quite scrumptious if I might add 😉

Serving size 1:

1/2 cup of buckwheat flour (GF)
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 mashed, ripe banana
    1/2 tsp Baking powder

Then I just toss in as much cinnamon as I am feeling (usually that’s a lot) and a dash of almond extract. On top I always do mixed berries, and if I am feeling extra saucy I will throw a handful of Dark chocolate chips in the mix…usually that happens after I do cardio 😉

Just thought I would share what I can! Thank you for your recipes!:)

• Reply the healthy hipster July 5, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Sounds fantastic! I usually make my pancakes with oat flour but buckwheat has such a nice earthy flavour and texture. Love it!