There are times for flakey, cake-like muffins and there are times for denser, heartier ones. When I came up with the recipe for these bad boys I was definitely searching for the latter. I wanted something small that would still fill me up and tide me during that midday hump and these muffins were just the ticket. They are perfect as pre-workout fuel, a mid-day pick me up or even a late-night snack. Did I mention they are also gluten-free, (optionally) sugar-free and only took me 30 minutes to make beginning to end.
Vegan Banana Sunbutter Muffins
Adapted from here
- 3 ripe mashed bananas
- ¼ cup sunflower seed butter
- 1/3 cup turbinado sugar OR 1/4 tsp concentrated stevia powder (I use New Roots organic stevia)
- 1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 4 tbsp water
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup raw buckwheat groats, ground (makes about 1 1/4 cups buckwheat flour with a milder flavour than store bought)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp whole buckwheat groats
- 1 tbsp whole flax seeds
- Mix first 6 ingredients until creamy.
- Stir together buckwheat flour, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet mixture stirring to combine.
- Stir in seeds, whole groats and flax.
- Bake at 350 degrees 18 – 20 minutes in a lined muffin pan.