recipes

Rustic Roasted Garlic & Lentil Hummus

Every time I pass my favourite hummus at the store I stop, stare longingly at it, glance at the price tag and then move on telling myself “I can just make my own hummus.” But I honestly can’t remember the last time I actually followed through with that statement. Until tonight of course 😉

The reason I don’t make hummus at home isn’t usually because I’m lazy or lack the drive…it’s because I’m downright forgetful and never remember soak my darn chickpeas! Well today I decided I wouldn’t let that minor detail curtail my cooking mojo… So I busted out the old hand mixer and went to town on some much less high maintenance legumes: those lowly, lovely lentils.

Rustic Roasted Garlic & Lentil Hummus

Ingredients

1.5 cups cooked lentils (3/4 cups dry)
2 cups roasted or steamed cauliflower
3-4 cloves roasted garlic
2 tbsp blanched sunflower seeds (drop in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, drain and rinse – helps them to blend)
1 tbsp tahini
1 tsp miso paste
1 tsp vegetable boullion – I use this kind
Unsweetened almond milk (approx 1.5 cups)
pepper to taste

Directions:

Blend all ingredients together using a hand mixer or food processor, adding milk as needed until it reaches your desired texture.

This hummus has a subtle, savoury flavour that can be adapted to suit your tastes. Less milk will make it a little thicker you could use it as a vegetarian alternative to pate or tuna salad in a sandwich. More milk will produce a creamier result similar to traditional hummus and great or dipping everything you can get your hands on in it…then possibly eating half the batch in one sitting…ahem.

Enjoy!

• Reply emmycooks May 27, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Yum! I never would have thought to add cauliflower to hummus but I bet the flavor & texture are both great! Thanks for the no-soak recipe. 🙂

• Reply the healthy hipster May 27, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Yes, it’s definitely a bit unorthodox but the cauliflower makes up for the fluffy texture that teensy lentils lack. Glad you liked it!

• Reply frugalfeeding May 28, 2012 at 3:06 am

Glad you finally made some :D. I refuse to buy it because it tastes like ass… I’ve never made lentil hummus, but I simply must – I have an idea forming already. I adore lentils.

• Reply the healthy hipster May 29, 2012 at 6:14 pm

You definitely should! It takes a little tweaking to get the right texture but the favour is well worth it!

• Reply Gillian May 28, 2012 at 9:13 am

I am a sucker for Sunflower Kitchen hummus. I always slap myself a little because I can make my own, but it’s oh so good and smooth.

Is it terrible that I almost always buy canned beans? I really need to smarten up and take the time to soak and cook dried ones!

• Reply the healthy hipster May 29, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Not terrible! Really quite sane of you! To be honest I started doing it because it was cheap and saved space in my grocery bags! Less canned goods = more room for produce! (Pardon my veggie fetish)

• Reply alexis May 29, 2012 at 5:10 pm

i also NEVER remember to cook beans so I’ve started soaking and cooking a huge batch and then freezing them for later use. All it takes is a quick soak in hot water to make them ready for hummus.

• Reply the healthy hipster May 29, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I have always been intrigued by freezing beans and grains. It seems like a great option for saving time, Ive got to try it out. Next up: solving the issue of BURNING beans while they cook. Ahem…

• Reply Lou May 29, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Yummo! Anything that’s involves roasted garlic…. I have been known to roast and eat whole bulbs at a time on my own 🙂

• Reply Lou May 29, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I don’t know why I typed “that’s” above…. terrible! Love the addition of miso and cauliflower to hummus, plus a change from chickpeas is always nice – totally going to try this!

• Reply the healthy hipster June 5, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Yay! Hope it turns out for ya. And thanks for the tip I’m definitely on a yoga kick right now 🙂