breakfast, restaurants

Treats & Tulips!

Happy Easter to those who celebrate! And to those who don’t…Happy excuse-to-eat-Cadbury-mini-eggs Day!

I woke up this morning after spending the second night in my quirky, delightful new apartment to see these beauties staring back at me!

20120408-151832.jpg

Such a treat that they seemed to bloom all at once. It was the perfect backdrop for my delicious Sunday morning breakfast…

20120408-153652.jpg

Mocha frozen yogurt with strawberries, chocolate sauce, toasted coconut, carob chips & cashews.

…Don’t believe me? Then you’re a smart little gluten-free cookie! πŸ˜‰ That was actually my dessert last night & my first time checking out one of those self serve froyo places I’d heard so much about! Menchie’s to be exact.

I kinda had a field day with the testers but finally settled on Mocha.

20120408-154116.jpg

A sugar induced gigglefest with the bestie soon followed…

20120408-154250.jpg

As for actual Breakkie this morning, it was microwaved oats topped with blueberries and chia with a side of green protein smoothie.

20120408-154620.jpg

Not bad…but no froyo. And I’m so sick of no-cook microwave meals. Definitely cant wait to have a functional kitchen again! I have so many recipes in this turban covered head of mine so stay tuned this week as the pots and pans come out of their boxes and I hit the ground running with fresh, springtime foodie fare! πŸ™‚

• Reply actorsdiet April 8, 2012 at 5:27 pm

those are my wedding flowers!!!

• Reply the healthy hipster April 12, 2012 at 8:31 am

Really? Ever since I lived in holland I’ve been tulip crazy. They are sweet and quirky and would be gorgeous in a spring wedding I’m sure πŸ™‚

• Reply Molly April 9, 2012 at 7:25 pm

unrelated, but do you lift weights? do you have any resources/recommendations for home weight lifting for women?

• Reply the healthy hipster April 12, 2012 at 8:39 am

I do! I was thinking of posting about my weights workouts soon because I know they can be intimidating. I never really used books and found the best way to get going was by using an at home video to like Jackie Warner’s one on one personal training to build up my confidence, then book an appt with a trainer at your gym. Just one meeting to come up with a basic routine and familiarize yourself with the equipment would be enough. Good luck!

• Reply meaghan April 19, 2012 at 9:55 am

Whats in the green smoothie?? Did you make it?

• Reply the healthy hipster April 20, 2012 at 8:57 pm

My green smoothies are almost always made of the same base: almond milk, ice, vegan protein powder, spinach and half a frozen banana. Then I add whatever flavourings I feel like that day! (berries, cocoa powder, vanilla, peanut butter, etc.) Sometimes I also add xantham gum to thicken it up but that’s optional πŸ™‚