Finally! Back in the kitchen and eating something other than cookies. Yes! Yes! Yes! This salad is my favourite three things: flavourful, healthy & cheap. It’s also bright and colourful, which was just what I needed to mirror this unseasonably springlike on this beautiful March day.
Peanut & Ginger Collard Green Coleslaw
For the slaw
- 4 cups broccoli, carrot & cabbage coleslaw mix
- 2 cups collards, stems removed and sliced into shreds
- 1 cup cooked edamame
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 heaping tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 tsp ground chia (optional, helps to thicken)
- 2 tbsp flax oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 inch or so of minced ginger (I always freeze my ginger and grate from frozen!)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 chopped scallions
- Warm the almond milk in a small saucepan until just below boiling.
- Melt molasses and peanut butter into the almond milk and stir until combined. If usin, whisk in ground chia and cook an additional minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in oils and seasonings. Whisk in vinegars next, 1 tbsp at a time to prevent the almond milk from separating. (If it does, don’t worry! It will still taste delicious.)
- Toss together dressing and slaw mix in a large bowl and allow to marinate in the refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight.
Makes about 3-4 servings which – if you’re anything like me – will be polished off in one day. Come to think of it…I might need to go back for thirds right about now….
Am I alone on this one or do you also start to crave a little colour in your meals when spring weather hits? What about in your wardrobe? 😉