cities, markets, vlog

Splurging at the Health Food Store (VLOG)

This afternoon I had some time off and decided to hit up one of my favourite Natural Food Stores. When I got home my wallet was significantly lighter and I felt a pang of guilt as I unloaded my bag of what I deemed to be totally unnecessary purchases. But then I checked myself! I mean sure, I could live without these item but sometimes springing the few extra bucks on foods that spice up your pantry will make eating nutritious whole foods at home just that little bit more exciting. And if you live in a city as foodie-friendly as mine, the temptation to go out to restaurants is pretty much omnipresent. So in the long run…maybe you’re actually saving money! Or am I rationalizing here?

Either way I decided to record this vlog to show you some of the foods that make even this bargain hunting, bulk bin diving lady crack open her piggy bank. Still not sure how I feel about the vlogging format (I apologize in advance for being a touch terribly long winded) but I figured it would be fun to mix things up. Hope you enjoy!

Mentioned in this post:
The Simply Bar
True Lemon
Chia Seeds
Food For Life Brown Rice Tortillas
Mary’s Crackers
Sun Warrior Blend Chocolate Protein Powder.

Now then…what do you love to SPLURGE on?

• Reply Cassandra November 23, 2011 at 12:23 am

I totally support the rationalizing. I think the same way. 🙂

• Reply jenna November 23, 2011 at 1:52 am

As a grad student, buying pricier produce and specialty veggie items are splurges for me — I rationalize by telling myself that since I don’t buy “junk” I deserve to spend a little more on great food 🙂 I also love to splurge on a veggie sushi roll or a bottle of red!

• Reply the healthy hipster November 23, 2011 at 7:49 am

I think that’s a great policy, Jenna! I definitely pinched my pennies even more when I was in grad school. Congrats for finding the time to cook at home!

• Reply Shannon (Healthiful Balance) November 23, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Loved your vlog! 🙂
    I need to get my hands on some chia seeds! 🙂

• Reply Kris November 23, 2011 at 1:54 pm

OMMMMMGGG!!! I love all these items you chat about!!! I always splurge at the health food store…ie. Whole Foods!!!

YUM!
    xxoo

• Reply the healthy hipster November 24, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Whole paycheck is my downfall. One trick: only bring one bag with you when you go! It might be heavy but at least it gives you a tangible limit of how much you can get…Unless you buy another bag of course 😉

• Reply Megan November 23, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Chia pudding – tell us your recipe! I like chia with lemon in water before a run. Your vlog inspired my health food store trip this afternoon – got the rice wraps as well as some almond butter with flax that Liz and I enjoyed on our road trip last year. Love the vlog, Rose!

• Reply the healthy hipster November 24, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Mmm chia with lemon sounds divine also…recipe comin atcha this weekend for sure! It involves chocolate…jussayin. 🙂

• Reply Sarah B @ Bake + Bike November 24, 2011 at 11:29 am

I love this, please post more vlogs 🙂

I do enjoy the occasional health food store splurge – I usually buy fancy tea, dried fruit that I don’t normally buy (like mango and cherries), interesting breads, and nut butter of course!

• Reply the healthy hipster November 24, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Glad you liked it, maybe I’ll get up the gumption to do it again some day. And yes I LOVE splurging on nut buttersm although I also like making my own. I have this dream about one day making toasted pecan butter…I like to set my sights high 😉