Things have been pretty grey here in Toronto lately and if you’re anything like me there is a direct correlation between dreary weather & dreary moods.
So…what’s been keeping my spirits up lately?
Autumn isn’t always easy. Its sad saying so long to summer and hello to months of blustery cold. Albums like these make me feel better about the prospect of staying in & sipping tea till March rolls around.
- Feist: Metals
- Fleet Foxes: Helplessness Blues
- St. Vincent: Strange Mercy
- Cults: Cults
- Youth Lagoon: The Year of Hibernation
Yesterday I had the good fortune of attending a seminar by Joy McCarthy (a holistic nutritionist, writer and all around lovely lady working in the Toronto area) on the subject of how food can be used improve your overall emotional and mental health….and not in the midnight-binge-on-haagen-daaz kinda way 😉
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 big handful of leafy greens (spinach has a very mild flavour but I also like kale or swiss chard)
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (mixed frozen berries also work)
- 1 scoop plain raw brown rice protein powder
- 1 big heaping scoop of raw cacao (or cocoa powder)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp flax oil
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup OR 1/2 tbsp spoonable stevia
- 1 hefty sprinkle of cinnamon
- a few drops of pure vanilla extract
- 2 ice cubes
- 1-1.5 cups almond milk**
(I often half the almond milk in this recipe and use part brewed coffee instead for a chocolate mocha treat)