restaurants, weird ingredient wednesday

Weird Ingredient Wednesday: BUCKWHEAT!

Okay so buckwheat may not seem like a weird ingredient right off the bat, since you’ve definitely heard of it, probably tasted it and maybe even keep it around your house in some form. BUT…there are so many ways and reasons to use buckwheat that I just had to dedicate a post to it.

Weird Ingredient FAQ:

1. What is it?
    Buckwheat is actually a fruit seed, not a grain, which makes it naturally gluten free. It is sold in raw form as “buckwheat groats” which can be soaked and eaten as is, roasted and sold as “kasha” (very popular in eastern europe) or ground into flour and turned into bread, pancakes, etc.
  2.  What does it taste like?
    While the flavour of buckwhat is bold – a savoury and strong, nutty and earthy taste – it varies greatly depending on what form you buy it in. Raw groats are not nearly as strong tasting as roasted kasha. And buckwheat flour ranges depending on the brand you buy.
  3. Is it good for you?
    Holygoodness YES. Not only is it a hearty whole grain (aka. slow digesting, energy giving, blood sugar regulating heaven) but its also a POWERHOUSE source of nutrients like magnesium, an uber metabolism booster  and manganese which is good for bonezz. Plus LOADS of fibre. Which is …well…good fer yer gut! 😉
  4. Why am I such a fan? It is a complete protein! Just like quinoa, but WAY cheaper and less trendy. Also easier on the digestive system…jussayin. GREAT for da veganz, veggiefolk + flexitarian/pescatarian folk like moi!
  5. Ways to use it: swap out a lil’ buckwheat flour for regular in baked goods, cook it up instead of rice as a side dish, throw it in soups or stews, whatevz.
Now you may DROOL over this epic buckwheat crepe filled spinach, tomato and vegan pesto from one of my favourite healthy hipster hangouts: Kensington Market’s Hibiscus Restaurant.
For even more ideas check out my other buckwheat recipes on the blogginz:
And stay tuned cause there’s more where that came from…
So whaddya think? Have you ever used buckwheat in your recipes? Would you consider it?

• Reply Chrissy (The New Me) July 14, 2011 at 10:23 am

As it turns out, I knew nothing about buckwheat until I read this post. So thanks for that! I love quinoa and I’ve been trying to reduce my gluten intake, so it looks like a date with buckwheat is in my future.

• Reply the healthy hipster July 14, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Glad you’re gonna give ‘er a whirl! I recommend the lighter flavour of buckwheat groats over roasted kasha for a newbie. Prepare it like a rice pilaf topped with nuts and dried fruit for a delish side dish!

• Reply Heidi @ Food Doodles July 14, 2011 at 11:17 am

Mmm, that crepe does look good. Love buckwheat! And I love your faq. I’m going to get some buckwheat in my diet today, I’ve kind of forgotten about it lately so thanks for the reminder 😀

• Reply Laurel July 14, 2011 at 11:28 am

Yes. I’d consider it – but I’d consider it a whole lot more with a buckwheat crepe recipe! 😀

• Reply the healthy hipster July 14, 2011 at 7:53 pm

If you’ll settle for a forthcoming pancake recipe we have a deal! 😉

• Reply Alice @ bakenbeebz.blogspot.com July 15, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I recently started to love buckwheat instead of traditional hot oat for brekky! oh and that wrap looks super awesome. and so does your blog. peace. x

• Reply Lauren @ What Lauren Likes July 16, 2011 at 8:31 am

I have never tried buckwheat! but really want to now 🙂 it looks so interesting!

• Reply livinglearningeating July 16, 2011 at 6:00 pm

The wrap looks delicious!

• Reply Ali July 16, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I am from Toronto and after reading your blog I was inspired to go to Hibiscus. It was AMAZING!!! Any other good vegan recommendations?

• Reply the healthy hipster July 16, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Check today’s post for another one of my faves! 😉

Glad to see some more local readers, thanks for checkin out the blog!

• Reply Picky Nicky August 20, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I’ve been wanting to try some for a while now! Thanks for all the info 🙂