After a hot sticky Saturday afternoon, the smell of smoking charcoal seems to engulf the city of Toronto. One can’t help but picture all the deliciously marinated grilled goodies cookin up behind the fences and hedges on these city streets. And yet here I am…FAMISHED…with a second floor walk-up and not a patio in sight.
BUT…does that get this gal down? No way. I cooked up my own BBQ inspired goodiez using whatever I had kicking around. Here’s what I came up with:
- 1 block tempeh
- Veggie Broth
- A few dashes of Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup Buffalo Wing Sauce (I used Frank’s but make sure you do NOT use the regular hot sauce, look for Frank’s wing sauce instead. It looks similar but is more tasty/less spicy) OR DIY Smokey BBQ Sauce
- 1 tbsp earth balance or margarine
- 1 diced shallot or 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Prepare tempeh by boiling it in broth and soy sauce for approx. 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a shallow baking dish and toss together with hot sauce, earth balance, onion and garlic.
- Bake for 400 degrees for 30 minutes, turning over halfway through. If you like, broil the last 5 minutes for a crispier final product.
- 1 small package of prepared shredded coleslaw mix (I used Our Compliments broccoli slaw)
- 1/2 package silken tofu
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup almond breeze
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tbsp dried onion flakes
- a few dashes of hot sauce
- 2 tsp agave, honey (for non-vegans) or a pinch of stevia
- salt and pepper to taste