Nothing says vacation breakfast quite like a couple of perfectly poached eggs…
Now I know poached eggs are intimidating. More so if you’ve tried once and failed. In fact you probably shudder at the very thought of the frankenstein-like creature you created in your pan, with its creepy egg white tendrils & gloopy bursted yolk. But I swear to you the perfect poach is in your future…And with it, a limitless array of potential brunch options.
The Healthy Hipster’s Perfect Poached Egg Method:
- Break your eggs into small cups, bowls or mugs & set aside.
- Bring about 1-2 inches of water to a boil in a pan (use one with a tight fitting lid) along with about 2-3 tbsp white vinegar.
- Once boiled, add a pinch of salt to the water.
- Carefully place your eggs into the water directly from the cup or bowl. Don’t dump it, just immerse the lip of cup in the water and let the egg flow out on its own.
- TURN THE HEAT OFF.
- Cover your pan and set a timer for your desired amount of doneness. This may vary based on your stove but in my experience 3 minutes for soft, 4 minutes for medium & 5 minutes for hard. I always set mine for 4 minutes, and the result is perfect every time. Play with the timing to suit your taste.
- Scoop out with a slotted spoon. If desired, give the egg a slight rinse under warm running water to remove any hint of vinegar. I often skip this step – i like the tartness!
ENJOY! I’m off to enjoy my first cuppa coffee, check out the beach & another beauty day on the Island…