Inspiration struck today when my afternoon running excursion took me Westier than West to Roncesvalles Village. As I
zoomed lackadaisically trotted past seemingly endless fruit and flower shops, I knew resistance was futile. Despite being planless, bagless and at not at all close to home, I ended up buying two fully loaded bags of goodies to last me through the long weekend.
swiss chard, red leaf lettuce, spinach, fiddleheads, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, shallots, arugula & basil
I was very grateful that I had chosen to shop once I got home and spotted my very sad looking leftover lunch: 1/2 a football sized wrap from Ravi’s that had turned to mooooosh in my fridge.
BUT thanks to my sweet haul I was able to transform my wrap into a way way delicious EPIC SALAD.
On the plate:
- red leaf lettuce & arugula
- 1/2 chopped apple
- a few slices red onion
- 1/2 wrap filling (so long moosh!) consisting of: roasted chicken, caramelized onions, sweet potatoes, tomato chutney, spinach & edamame
There. Are. No. Words.
Posted by the healthy hipster on May 20, 2011
Its pouring rain outside. And I couldn’t be less motivated to leave the house let alone engage in any kind of outdoor physical activity. So I figured it was a good day to start chatting about my favourite ways to get in a workout without having to spend any money, go anywhere or put on socially acceptable workout attire. Ahh. Doesn’t that sound delightful? Today’s topic: WEIGHTS!
Here are just a few reasons why I’m a big fan of weight training for both ladiez and gentlemen:
- Dumbbells are wicked cheap. I bought this one was from Canadian Tire and it cost me 5.99 ($12 for two).
- Building muscle is super satisfying. It helps you do more stuff. Home stuff. Stuff at work. Fun stuff. Being more physically capable helps with all aspects of your life and it rules. Swearsies.
- Muscle ramps up your metabolism. Which means you burn through more energy in a day. Which means more delicious food. Never a bad thing.
- Overall health. Building muscle helps prevent injuries, reduces risk of osteoporosis, improves sleep & boosts your immune system. WOOT!
Nail Polish: DIOR. Dumbbell: CANADIAN TIRE.
Pick up some hand weights of your own and check back soon!
I’ll be posting some of my favourite ways to use weights to work on your upper body, core & lower body MUSCLEZ!
Posted by the healthy hipster on May 18, 2011