I’m the girl who brings salad to a party. I accepted this fate long ago.
The trick is to bring a salad that’s so delicious no one really cares. The other trick is to BE COOL ABOUT IT. Don’t make a big deal about your new veg-positive lifestyle. Don’t pester people who prefer more typical BBQ fare. Trust me. By being LOW KEY about your healthy contribution, you can ensure that a) your salad gets eaten and b) no one leaves said party talking how new-agey you’ve become or how you “used to be fun.”
Here’s a recipe that might help you out in these efforts…
SUMMER DINNER PARTY KALE SALAD
Serves 4 as a main, 6-8 as a side
- 2 large bunches of kale, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1.5 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 block sheep feta
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1/3 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup balsamic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp tamari
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat chickpeas in coconut oil, cumin paprika and sea salt.
- Bake on a lined baking sheet for 40 minutes. Remove from heat for 10 minutes and allow to cool. Cook for an additional 10 minutes (this is a trick I learned here and it really helps to crisp them up).
- Whisk together balsamic, olive oil, maple syrup and tamari.
- Add dressing to kale and masssage gently with your hands until wilted.
- Top kale with roasted chickpeas, feta, pumpkin seeds and blueberries and serve.