Late spring is full of momentum.
Lazy, plodding streetcars are overtaken by high-speed bicycles. Rain, when it comes, falls quick and hard. People are so eager for summer to start they plan away all their weekends and fill them up with music festivals, weekend getaways, parties, weddings and cottage trips. With so much energy focused on moving ahead, it’s common to hear people say that they feel like summer is already over…before it’s even begun.
With this in mind, my goal for the next few weeks is to exercise a little patience and feel grateful for what I have today. Pasty white legs, rainy weather, flowers in my garden…and fresh, spring vegetables in my bowl.
Seasonal Spring Chickpea Salad
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil
- 2 medium zuchinis, coursely chopped
- 1 bunch of asparagus, chopped
- 2 cups chickpeas
- salt and pepper
- juice of 2 lemons
- flax seed oil (or more olive oil)
- handful of fresh dill, coursely chopped
- a few handfuls of arugula
- 1 cup blackberries
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat (not too high), add in garlic and sautee until fragrant.
- Add chopped zucchini and cook until softened and lightly browned.
- Add asparagus and sautee for just a few extra minutes – careful not to overcook.
- Transfer vegetables from your pan to a large mixing bowl. Add chickpeas, salt and pepper, dill, lemon juice and a hearty drizzle of flax seed or olive oil. Stir well to combine.
- Serve chickpea salad warm or cold over arugula. Top with berries and an extra drizzle of flax seed oil.