recipes

The Ultimate Cookie

I’m not going to apologize for my brief hiatus from blogging. For my less than consistent summer posts or my fewer-than-average recipes.

I’m just going to make it up to you right now with this…

The ULTIMATE Cookie

Based on my first love, the vegan Gypsy Cookie from Toronto’s Bunners Bakeshop…The Ultimate Cookie was born in a late post-pinot-noir baking frenzy.

It’s vegan and whole food based but still definitely an indulgence as all good cookies should be.

Its not fancy by any standard and its definitely rough around the edges…but that’s what makes it perfect to me.

20120829-155734.jpg

Ingredients:

· 2 1/4C old fashioned rolled oats
· 2 C spelt flour
· 1 C sunflower seeds
· 3/4 C pumpkin seeds
· 1/2 C unsweetened shredded coconut
· 1/4 C chia seeds
· 1 C sucanat
· 1 tbsp cinnamon
· 2 tsp sea salt
· 1 ½ C vegan dark chocolate chips (mini ones are the best if you can find them!)
· 1 1/4 C dried naturally sweetened cranberries
· 1/4 C blackstrap molasses
· 3/4 C melted coconut oil
· 1 1/2C unsweetened almond or soy milk

Directions: (left unchanged from my late night scribbles, hehe)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Mix your dry ingredients in one bowl, wet ingredients in another, add wet to dry and stir.

Line 2 big baking sheets with parchment paper. I used a 1/3 measuring cup to scoop the dough and then flattened them out with my hand until they were about an inch thick. Like delicious hockey pucks!

Place sheets in the oven and bake for 25-35 minutes or until brown (I baked them on the longer side because I like them crunchy).

My batch made about 24 BIG cookies

Cool on a rack then store in the fridge.

…soooo we’re cool now right? 😉

• Reply Tricia Bain August 29, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Yum. Can we bake this for our hike?

• Reply raechel August 29, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Damn! Looks great!

• Reply Kristin August 29, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Glad you’re back!

• Reply Gillian August 31, 2012 at 10:09 am

Oh we are on very good terms now. I used to beg a friend who lived in the junction to bring me Gypsy cookies to work so I could eat them for breakfast. The best. Now I can make them at home!

• Reply Lou Dwan September 2, 2012 at 3:35 am

Cookie. Cookie good. Love the blackstrap molasses…. we are SO good RE blogging hiatus with THIS offering.

• Reply Drew Silverthorn November 23, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I work at Bunner’s as a baker and this looks pretty darn close to the real mccoy! I suggest subbing the milk for coffee sometime if you’re feeling fancy. Although we don’t do that at the bakery, my boss (the recipe queen) highly suggests it!

• Reply the healthy hipster December 8, 2012 at 10:12 pm

This comment makes me happier than just about anything. I always feel fancy and therefore will be trying this out very soon! Glad ya stumbled on the blog 🙂

• Reply Lucy December 8, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I made on two different occasions, inspired by the ones at Bunners.
    Absolutely delicious and easy to make, everyone loves them. Will definitely become part of my key cookie recipe collection.

• Reply Lucy April 29, 2013 at 8:33 pm

My son bought them at Bunner’s and we all fell in love…so delish.
    Thanks to your website I don’t have to wait until 10 a.m.
    Thanks so much for a wonderful recipe!!

• Reply Kayla November 17, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I once saw a cookie recipe on the Food Network that included crispy rice, and ever since then I’ve been looking for a flexible whole foods cookie recipe I could add crispy rice to. THIS IS IT. Totally making them to celebrate when exam season is over. (;

• Reply Mmburke December 28, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Spelt flour isn’t gluten free though. I trust they don’t use it for the cookies at the bakery…

• Reply the healthy hipster April 1, 2015 at 11:21 pm

You’re right! I’m sure they use brown rice flour or chickpea flour which is used in their delicious GF bread. I used spelt because it was what I had on hand but I’ve used bob’s redmill gf flour blend before and it works perfectly.

• Reply The Weekend Cookie – The Healthy Hipster March 31, 2015 at 5:41 pm

[…] while back I posted a recipe for what I boastfully called “The Ultimate Cookie” that’s been one of the most popular recipes on this blog. It was my own take on […]