It is Victoria Day weekend here in Ontario which means that half of the Toronto’s population has vacated the city to drink microbrewed beers on the docks of their million dollar Muskoka cottages. And while that sounds lovely and all (in fact last summer I toured the Muskokas and had a pretty stellar time) I been really enjoying the pleasure of spending my weekend right here with some great friends in the city I love…
My friends were much better at comporting themselves.
After yesterday’s shenanigans I decided I was in need of a healthy start to today & ended up coming up with a delicious new spin on my standard oatmeal breakfast. In a constant effort to enjoy a greater diversity of foods I would mix things up today and use of of my favourite superfoods: Buckwheat! Usually I think of cooking whole grains in the morning to be a slow and laborious process, but I was feeling inspired after reading Angela’s post on grinding steel cut oats for quicker cooking and I figured I’d give it a whirl. The result?
Creamy Coconut Buckwheat Porridge
- 1/4 cup raw buckwheat groats
- 1/2 tbsp chia or flax seeds
- 1 cup So Delicious Coconut Milk (OR a mix of almond milk + 1 tbsp canned coconut milk/coconut creamer)
- 1/2 cup water
- Pulse buckwheat and chia or flax seeds in a coffee grinder until coursely ground
- Combine milk and grains in a medium saucepan and heat until just boiling, then reduce to a simmer for about 5-7 minutes. I found that mine thickened very quickly so I thinned it out with an extra 1/2 cup of water.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- shredded coconut
- sunflower seeds
- extra coconut milk
- drizzle of agave (could use honey, brown sugar, stevia etc.)