I apologize for being a little late for Pancake Tuesday but since I’m not much for Lent maybe you can forgive me? In return I’m giving you a totally guilt-free (not to mention allergy-free) recipe for savoury pancakes that you can enjoy on Pancake Tuesday and then every day after that since they are free of animal products, fat, sugar and pretty much anything else you might want to give up! As for me, I’ll be enjoying these with a big slather of earth balance, a side of caramelized onions & some freshly smoked salmon…plus a
few squares bar of dark chocolate for dessert. To each their own. 🙂
If you’ve never had a traditional blini the concept of a savoury buckwheat pancake might sound a little strange. But when you think of it as chewy, warm, fresh cooked pan bread…things start to sound a whole lot more delicious. I even managed to sneak some extra veggies into this recipe too…cause I just couldn’t help myself.
So go ahead…try something new for dinner this week! Who knows? You might just want to eat them for 40 days straight…
Savoury Blini Pancakes
(Vegan & Gluten-Free)
- 3 tbsp buckwheat flour, ground fresh from buckwheat groats for a lighter flavour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup mashed cauliflower
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp seasoned sea salt like herbamare
- 1/2 cup + 2tbsp hot water
- Stir dry ingredients together in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add water stir until well combined.
- Scoop batter using a 1/4 cup measuring cup and fry on a lightly oiled/sprayed griddle or pan for 2-3 minutes/side.
– if you don’t have coconut flour use extra buckwheat or gluten-free flour
– swap out whatever leftover veggies you have on hand for the cauliflower: mashed potatoes, squash, pumpkin or carrots would probably work well
Check out this post for more information on the nutritional benefits of inexpensive, high protein, whole grain buckwheat…it’s definitely one of my all time favourite grains when prepared correctly. Even more reasons to eat pancakes for dinner! 🙂