The last week of my life has been consumed by work and apartment hunting, leaving me with zero time for grocery shopping, laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc. And physical activity? Well let’s just say I’ve been relying heavily on Cardio LIFE lately (hoofin it all over the city from cruddy rental to cruddy rental, is no joke…believe me).
So while I wish I could be passing along a wholesome, comfort food dinner recipe my empty fridge is telling me that just isn’t in the cards. So in the meantime these grab-and-go protein cookies are my closest approximation. Wholesome? Yup. Comforting? Definitely. Oh, and did I mention chocolatey? That’s just bonus…
One of these cookies provides you with around 10+ grams of protein and a healthy dose of dietary fibre, complex carbohydrates and healthy fats. They can be made vegan or sugar free if that’s your scene and if you’re worried about the prep time, just double the recipe and pop half the cookies in the freezer for next time!
Chocolate Protein Cookies
Lightly adapted from this recipe
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 3 heaping tbsp almond butter
- 2 scoops protein powder (I used Chocolate Sun Warrior Blend)**
- 1 large egg OR 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Sucanat OR 1/4 tsp powdered white stevia
- 2 heaping tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp instant coffee (optional, but gives a nice flavour)
- 1/2 cup mix-ins like chocolate chips, carob chips, walnuts, dried or frozen berries, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all ingredients to your food processor except for mix-ins and blend until smooth.
- Scoop batter into a bowl and add mix-ins by hand. Form into balls, and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until crackly on top – make sure not to overcook.
Enjoy these cookies as midday snack…Maybe paired with an Americano topped off with homemade almond milk (courtesy of MylkUncookies)? Nomm…..
I’ll be back to salads, scrambles, wraps, casseroles and stews soon but in the meantime I’ll stay a happy girl so long as I keep munching on snacks this good and coffee this delicious…
Wish me luck as the hunt continues…and give these healthy little treats a try!