Think French toast is just for weekends? This recipe whips up super quickly, even on the busiest weekday morning. Just make sure you learn from my mistake and brush your teeth after you flip the toast…unless you want to end up with extra crispy version like mine 😉 Still tasted great though!
Overnight French Toast
- 2 pieces of whole grain bread (I like Food For Life Ezekiel & GF Brown Rice breads)
- 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites **See note for a vegan option
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup or agave (sometimes I make a sugar-free version with a few drops of stevia)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Whisk all ingredients together and pour into a shallow baking dish.
- Add toast and allow to sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Flip once and then soak overnight.
- In the morning simply transfer to a griddle or pan coated with a thin layer of coconut oil (a teaspoon or so) and fry on medium heat for about 3-4 mins/side or until egg is cooked through in the centre.
I topped one half of mine with mashed banana and peanut butter and the other half with fresh raspberries and a sample pack of Justin’s Chocolate Almond Butter I had been saving for just such an occasion.
Now that’s the way to start a Friday.