breakfast, budgeting, recipes, snacks

Vegan Mini-Quiches with Quinoa Crust

If you’re anything like me, cooking for a crowd these days can seem like a daunting task. Not only is there the pressure of making something delicious and presentable, but everyone and their shelter-saved puggle seems to have some sort of special dietary requirement.

Don’t get me wrong I strongly believe that everyone is entitled to make their own decisions when it comes to food without fear of judgement or criticism. And I try my darndest to support my friends as they follow their hearts and tummies, making the choices that work for them. Back to my first point, though…it isn’t always an easy task.

But not to worry, I’m here to show you that there are delicious recipes out there that can accommodate even your most discriminating friends and family…I promise.

Today I whipped up a lunch that was just perfect for this sunny-but-cool November afternoon. Warm and savoury, balanced out with a fresh arugula salad and some crisp fruit. This whole batch would be ideal to bring to a holiday potluck, as it would please both vegans and meat-eaters alike. Or you could always do what I did and freeze them in packages of 2 for a quick heat-and-go lunch or snack.

Spinach and Herb Mini-Quiches
(Vegan and Gluten Free)

My mini-muffin take on this recipe

• 1 cup cooked quinoa, prepared in veggie broth
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons of gluten-free rolled oats, ground in a coffee grinder to make flour (or you’re welcome to substitute for any GF or wheat flour you have on hand)
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tbsp salt-free herb blend (Kirkland Organic, Mrs. Dash, Spike, etc.)

1. Combine ground flax seeds with water and allow to set for around 5 minutes.
  2. In the meantime mix together cooked quinoa, seasonings and oat flour.
  3. Add flax seed “gel” and stir well to combine.
  4. Scoop mixture into a well greased muffin tin – approximately 1 heaping tbsp per quiche – and make sure to press quinoa firmly to create a solid base.

For filling:

• 1 package of extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp tumeric
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1 heaping tbsp dijon mustard
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of liquid

1. In a food processor or blend, puree all ingredients except spinach until smooth and creamy.
  2. Add spinach last and pulse a few times until well combined.
  3. Scoop quiche mixture into each base – just shy of 1/4 cup per quiche. Try your best not to eat directly from the food processor with a spoon. It will be that good.
  4. Bake 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.

And there you have it! A fresh, hearty, inexpensive lunch you can proudly serve to just about anyone.

What are your favourite recipes to cook for a crowd?

• Reply frugalfeeding November 16, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Yummy – first of all, I think these look delicious. secondly, I didn’t know one could make a quinoa crust, so thanks for sharing that!

• Reply the healthy hipster November 17, 2011 at 8:02 am

You could probably make this crust with any cooked grain but I love the taste and texture of quinoa!

• Reply yumscrub November 16, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I agree…never thought of making a quinoa crust. They look delicious.

• Reply actorsdiet November 16, 2011 at 9:43 pm

wow this looks great – will share on facebook!

• Reply the healthy hipster November 17, 2011 at 8:00 am

Thanks! And congrats on getting featured on the kitchn. Love that site :)

• Reply hhj92 November 18, 2011 at 4:47 pm

vegan quiche? i’m in awe and must try this! :)

• Reply Jillian November 20, 2011 at 7:20 am

I like the name of your blog, and I’m excited to try this recipe!

• Reply Laura November 20, 2011 at 11:27 am

I’m going to make this for a potluck Thanksgiving where I’ll be the only vegetarian. Thanks so much for this!

• Reply the healthy hipster November 24, 2011 at 4:36 pm

No problem! Let me know what the non-veggies think! 😉

• Reply Laura November 29, 2011 at 6:14 pm

It was a hit. Even my picky as heck “I won’t eat anything but macaroni” step son love them!

• Reply the healthy hipster November 30, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Wow! Glad to hear it went over well! Ya never know with them little’uns :)

• Reply Deb November 23, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Oh my lord, they are beautiful and they look so delicious! I love quinoa and I got my brother and mum hooked on the yummy stuff too. And I have to say, arugula salad goes with everything. Hahaha, I know what you mean about “discriminating” palates, both my boyfriend and best friend have one of those 😉

• Reply the healthy hipster November 24, 2011 at 4:38 pm

What won’t we do for the people we love, right? I’m in the process of planning a vegan/gluten-free/dairy-free/low-sugar christmas meal…wish me luck! I’m taste testing well in advance :)

• Reply Lori January 29, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I’m stalking your blog for ideas for my restaurant … and this looks perfect! I’m saving it and gonna use it and name it after you, of course. The vegans are going to go crazy.

• Reply the healthy hipster January 29, 2012 at 5:00 pm

EEE! This recipe is definitely a crowd pleaser and the crust can be swapped for anything. The base also works really well as vegan “ricotta” in pasta dishes like ravioli, stuffed shells or lasagna. Also…your RESTAURANT?!

• Reply Intrepidtim December 15, 2013 at 3:56 pm

How many does this serve? I have to bring something to a potluck; there will be 30 guests. By what factor should I multiply. Quinoa crust? Genius.