Okay so I’ve been working on this little recipe for a while now and I feel like even though I haven’t worked out all the kinks I’ve been snacking on them WAY too often not to share. And who knows, maybe you’ll have your own tips and tricks to make them even better!
My standard recipe is as follows:
- 1 banana, mashed
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- pinch of cinnamon (if desired)
- 3 tbsp brown sugar/agave/maple syrup OR 1.5 tbsp spoonable stevia
- ½ cup milk of choice
- 3 scoops (20grams) plain brown rice protein powder** I use a raw variety that is cheap, vegan and allergy-free!
- 2 tsp light tasting vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1.5 cups dark berries
- ¾ cup oats
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp pepitas (or sub for sunflower seeds), toasted
- ¼ cup almonds, toasted and crushed
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Mash banana until the consistency is soft and runny. Then mix in protein powder, almond milk, cocoa powder, coffee, oil, sugar or stevia and cinnamon if using. Stir well until protein powder is dissolved and ingredients are completely blended.
- Grind flax seeds in a coffee grinder (or use preground) and add these to the mix along with an extra 1/3 cup water. Stir and set mixture aside for at least 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients: toasted nuts and seeds, flour, oats, baking powder, salt.
- Add dry mix to wet mix and blend until you reach a batter-like consistency.
- Mix in berries and stir to combine.
- Bake in a foil lined 8 x 8 pan (this is important as it will help you remove and cut the bars later) at 350 degrees for around 30-35 minutes or until the centre is cooked through.
- Allow the bars to cool for 5 minutes then lift out foil and place in the freezer for around a half hour. After this amount of time the bars should be firm enough to slice with a knife. I usually keep half in the fridge and freeze the second half to take with me as an on-the-go snack.