Think this looks way too elaborate for a Tuesday morning? Not so much. This breakfast only took me 6 minutes from fridge to plate (just a few more minutes than your standard eggs on toast breakfast) and the result was a mid-week-brunch of epic proportions.
The Breakfast Tortilla
- Heat a large, ungreased skillet to medium high heat.
- Chop up a few handfuls of your favourite veggies: onions, peppers, carrots, zucchini, peppers (note: the smaller you chop, the quicker they cook!)
- Toast a whole wheat or brown rice tortilla on the dry skillet for about 30 seconds/side or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Add 1 tsp of oil and all of your veggies to the skillet. Salt, pepper, garlic and chili powder are some other tasty additions. Stir fry until just cooked and still crunchy. If you’re adding greens do so right at the end.
- Eggs**: EITHER microwave 1/2-3/4 cup egg whites for 2-3 minutes at 80% power OR add 2 whole eggs to the pan after the veggies have cooked and scramble.
- Spread your tortilla with base of choice: I used hummus, dijon and a piece of laughing cow cheese. Layer on veggies and eggs. Top with anything you like: salsa, greek yogurt, olives, jalepenos, nooch, crunched up mary’s crackers or tortillas, etc.