A Foray into the American Midwest
As I mentioned the other day I decided to take a short vacay this week to visit family in the Midwestern United States. Despite travelling pretty extensively throughout the US, I am a total newb when it comes to this part of the country.
So here goes… TOP 5 THINGS I’VE LEARNED since arriving in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. (pronounced Wis-caaaan-sin)
1) The food is tasty and there are a lot of healthy options that don’t involve beer or cheese (not that there’s anything wrong with that…) and the portions sizes are MASSIVE. Its a little overwhelming at times!
These raw vegan tamales
at Cafe Manna
were delicious but HUGE and seriously filling for an appetizer
2) A dive bar here is what dive bars everywhere should be. A dive
. They are smelly, dank and most importantly unironic
(PLUS I got to play DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION aka. DDR aka. the best
game in existence at this bar. WIN!)
3) Beer is a way of life. People drink a lot
here. If you look close enough, even the cute group of grandmothers sitting and chatting at the table across from you are drinking tallboys of Pabst.
4) The coffee is bad 90% of the time, but there are a few exceptions. Cedarburg Coffee
was one of that 10%. Americannnooo with soymilkkkk…..
5) I have absolutely zero willpower in the presence of a yuppie, bougie American clothing and housewares store. Seriously EVERYTHING in this place was the cutest thing I’d ever seen.
(And before you judge me for the flip flops & yogawear…reck-a-nize that I juuuuust
finished an incredible power yoga class over at Core Essence Yoga Studio. Thanks for the awesome class, Shayna!)
Look forward to some more travel posts to follow…I have a feeling Chicago might be offering up some pretty good eatz too but lets just wait and see!
Have you ever been to the midwest? What was your take?
Posted by the healthy hipster on August 4, 2011