diy, recipes

Guest Post: Meg’s DIY Grain-Free Vegan Sandwich Bread

Today I will boarding a plane to Chicago as part of my August vacay, so as a special treat to you here is another guest post from my magical gluten-free baking bestie Meg! As I mentioned back in Meg’s first guest post, she is the master of cooking for special diets. Plural. Gluten-free, dairy free and diabetic friendly if you’re keeping score! Despite my gluten-free bread skepticism but I am absolutely enamoured with Meg’s version. Obviously it is great for those on low glycemic, low sugar or gluten-free diets but most importantly its absolutely delicious, has no hard-to-pronounce additives and has a texture that is truly…magical! Enjoy!

Hey everyone, Meg here!

This bread is technically a loaf rather than a true yeasted bread but you would never know it from the way it makes my house smell. It bakes up perfectly with a nice golden brown crust and a hearty center.  It is completely grain free (so by default gluten free), egg free, soy free, and sugar free. And more than that it packs a good wallop of protein, healthy fats and fibre.

Wet Ingredients:

• 1 cup boiling water
  • 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
  • 7 tablespoons chia seeds

Dry Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup natural apple sauce
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1 cup ground flaxseed
  • 2 cups blanched almond flour (NOT almond meal!)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt

Directions:

1. In a large bowl combine 1/2 cup apple sauce and 1/2 cup coconut flour with a fork, allow to sit for 10 minutes then ‘fluff’ again with fork
  2. Measure 7 tablespoons chia seeds into a coffee grinder (if you don’t have a coffee grinder give up on life now) and grind until the chia seeds look like a flour. In a medium sized bowl and whisk ground chia seeds vigorously while slowly pouring in 1 cup of boiling water. The end result should strongly resemble snot.  Pahaha! See why I love this woman?
  3. Add 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar to chia seed snot and whisk to combine. Set aside.
  4. To the large coconut flour bowl add 2 cups almond flour, 1 cup ground flaxseed (I grind them myself in the coffee grinder, but you can also buy them ground in most health food stores), 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda and 1 teaspoon sea salt, beat with electric beaters until well combined and uniform.
  5. Knead chia snot mixture into the dry ingredients. I like to get me hands in the bowl to make sure the mixture is even and binding well.
  6. Form into a log/loaf and place in a bread pan or on a cookie sheet (whatever you have)
  7. Bake at 325-350 for 55-65 mins, until golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Ovens vary greatly, luckily it is almost impossible to burn  or overcook this bread. Low and slow will make a nice crunchy crust and fully cook the insides. If you have a browned outside rather quickly, simple lower the oven temp slightly for the remainder of the time. If you don’t let it bake long enough you will get a soggy middle.
  8. Allow to cool and cut into slices. Freeze sliced loaf in an airtight container for freshness(but make sure you try a warm straight from the oven slice before you do!)

Serve toasted for best results. Tastes delicious as sandwich bread or on its own topped with a little honey.

Does anyone in your life live on a gluten free or low glycemic diet? What are your thoughts about the products on the market today?

• Reply Heather Eats Almond Butter August 3, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Seriously?!? Um, yes, this has my name written all over it. THANK YOU. Must make when I get back home to Nashville. :)

• Reply the healthy hipster August 4, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I knew you’d dig it, lady! Lemme know how it goes when you get back!

• Reply Kristin August 8, 2011 at 8:18 am

OMG. Saw this on Pinterest, can’t believe I didn’t see it before- totally trying this! I am gluten/grain-free and I agree that much of the products in the stores are crap- super processed and often made with less-than-nutritious ingredients like potato starch and white rice flour. This looks amazing- packed with nutrition AND flava :) xoxo

• Reply vettech August 18, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Cool…but maybe not for the reasons you’d expect. I’ve been looking for a recipe like this for my dog! She takes several liquid medications daily and I’ve found the easiest way to give her the meds is on a small piece of bread. I’m feeding my dogs and cats grain free and was looking for an “absorbent” food alternative to use. This is perfect. Thanks!!!!

• Reply the healthy hipster August 19, 2011 at 9:13 am

That’ll be one healthy pup! Meg would certainly approve, nobody gets treated better than her THREE pooches! :)

• Reply spoonfulofsugarfree September 27, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Ohmygoodness gracious!!! I love grain-free breads!!! I have a banana and pumpkin spice grain-free bread recipe, but this looks sooo yummy!!! You are a new blog to me, and I am so happy I found you! Looks great!

• Reply the healthy hipster September 28, 2011 at 7:09 am

So glad you found me! I’m a BIG fan of your grain free bread recipes! Especially that bittersweet chocolate cake…mmm :)

• Reply Katie Payne January 22, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I made this for the first time yesterday. It was SO easy and SO delicious! My roommates (two “meat-and-potatoes” guys) devoured it! Thanks for a great recipe, Meg. I’m making a second loaf as we speak :)

• Reply the healthy hipster January 22, 2012 at 7:11 pm

I know I was obsessed with this stuff! That meg, such a creative gal!

• Reply Kimara April 15, 2012 at 9:00 am

Can you substitute a bean flour for the almond flour. I am nut-free.

Thanks

• Reply the healthy hipster April 15, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Almond flour has a lot of natural moisture that might be lacking from something like chickpea flour…If you can tolerate grains why not try something like buckwheat or spelt?

• Reply Rebecca Hanan December 21, 2013 at 12:42 am

So wonderful! I’ve made this a few times now. The only bread I can make because it has no eggs! =D