Delicious and naturally gluten free, buckwheat is actually not made from wheat at all. Its actually a fruit seed closely related to rhubarb. Who knew?
This recipe is closer to dense cornbread than sandwich bread, but don’t let that scare you off. A hearty piece of this makes the perfect accompaniment to a bowl of soup or an epic salad. Or a thin slice makes a delicious snack smothered in nut butter or smokey bbq sauce and hummus (best combo).
Adapted from The Edible Perspective
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons buckwheat flour (grind raw buckwheat groats in coffee grinder)
- 1/2c + 2T cornmeal (I threw this in the coffee grinder too so it would be more like a flour but I don’t think it actually did anything!)
- 2 eggs OR 1/2 cup egg whites OR 4 tbsp ground flax
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk/soymilk/cow’s milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2t baking powder
- 2 tbsp mashed sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon oil (or whatever you have on hand, I used sunflower)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (cane sugar, sucanat, etc.)
- 1 small squeeze of honey OR a teensy pinch of stevia
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease bottom + sides of a 9×9 square pan or line with parchment (I used a normal bread pan)
- Stir together ground buckwheat flour, millet flour, (if using add flax with the dry mix too), baking powder, sugar, salt + pepper in a medium sized bowl
- In a separate bowl combine water, milk, egg, honey (if using), mashed sweet potato + oil.
- Add wet mixture to dry and stir until just combined.
- Pour into greased pan, and evenly spread.
- Bake for about 42-46min until golden brown.