One of the things you’ve probably noticed if you’re a city dweller of a certain demographic is that all your friends are obsessed with brunch. In Toronto, hot spots such as Saving Grace, Swan, School, et al. draw out the twenty-somethings in droves.
And while I generally love to get on board with food-based trendyness, I do have a bit of a beef with brunch! WHY YOU GOTTA BE SO LATE? Its the worst! Sure its no big thing if you wake up with the rest of the Saturday world at a reasonable 9 or even 10 o’clock to eat at 11….but for those of us who get up early waiting this long is simply torturous.
So here’s the trick I’ve discovered to make it from your early morning tummy grumble to your midday poached egg and pancake session.
Besting Brunch Green Smoothie
- 1/2 banana (frozen if you got it!)
- 1/2 cup plain yoghurt or silken tofu
- 1 big handful of kale leaves (spinach also works great)
- 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional, but I find this helps tide me over)
- dash of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 squeeze of honey, agave or a pinch of stevia
- small handful of ice